Paralympics Champion Paul Blake to Switch on Dorchester Christmas LightsThursday, November 24th, 2016
It has been announced that Paralympic gold medalist Paul Blake has been confirmed to do the big Christmas light switch on at Dorchester’s 2016 Christmas Cracker evening.
The athlete, who lives locally to Dorchester shot to fame by winning gold at the Rio Paralympics earlier this year in the T36 400m and followed this up with silver in the 800m the very next day.
Paul, who has cerebral palsy, used to play Basketball until he turned his attention to running. Prior to Rio 2016 his career highlight was competing at London 2012. He ran in both the T36 400m and the T36 800m, and came away with silver in the T36 400m, and bronze medal in the T36 800m.
Dorchester Christmas Cracker Programme 2016
Dorchester’s annual Christmas Cracker evening happens on Thursday 8th December. It marks the start of the festive season celebrations in the town. As well as the big lights switch on which centre around St Peter’s Church on High West Street, many of the shops stay open for late night shopping.
The programme of events for this year’s Christmas Cracker is as follows:
- 4pm: free parking (except road parking)
- 4pm – 8pm: Christmas Craft Fair in the Corn Exchange
- 5pm: South Street Christmas Market
- 6pm: Dorchester Performing Arts
- 6.30pm: Christmas Lights Switch-On at St Peter’s Church (followed by stage entertainment)
- 6.45pm: Santa’s Free Grotto Bus (outside Lloyds Bank)
- 6.45pm: Rock Choir Concert at Holy Trinity Church