Dorchester One World FestivalThursday, June 30th, 2011
Dorchester’s big summer of events kicked off this month with the carnival, and now we’re all turning our attention to our next major Dorchester event – the third annual One World Festival, taking place on Sunday July 10th from 11am until 4pm on the Kings Road playing field.
The One World Festival is a celebration of multiculturalism and diversity created by local resident Khalique Miah, and this year’s main sponsor will be the Dorchester BID.
The Festival will offer visitors the chance to take part in a wide range of activities, the majority of which are free or only require a very small contribution. The list of things to look out for at the festival includes:
• Climbing wall tower
• Bouncy castle
• Mini sports and circus skills provided by WDDC’s Action Van & Sports Team
• Coconut shy
• Balloon man
• Face painting
• Art and Craft corner
• A selection of outfits to dress up in and have your picture taken by a photographer
• Kabaddi – teams can enter on the day, or in advance, to win the Kabaddi Cup
• Tug of war – teams can enter on the day, or in advance, to win the Tug of War Shield
• Futsal – a Brazilian football game new for 2011, with the opportunity to win a new, specially designed trophy.
• Food stalls offering free tastings of food from around the world
• The Travelling World Book, which Dorchester Middle School sent on a 6 month journey round the world in 2010
• ‘Lokesh – Being Different’. A children’s story book – see how it was produced
• Local organisations showcasing their activities and fundraising for their own cause
• Belly dancing, Egyptian Dancing, Contemporary Dancers, cheerleaders – with workshops so people can have a go
• Gurkhas dance display
• DJ providing music from around the world
• Musicians and live acts
• Refreshment area (tea, coffee, cold drinks, cakes and biscuits) and seating for people who want to sit and rest
• Ice Creams
• Toilets on site, including a wheelchair accessible facility
If you would like to take part in the festival, either by performing, entering a team for the sports events, or setting up your own stall, you need to fill in a short booking form for the organisers. Click here to download the form, and once completed, email it on to email@example.com.